Friday, June 8, 2012

Phone Looker

Today we explore the Phone looker.  This is possibly the strangest Looker I have ever encountered.  I understand some of the others, but let's examine this one a little more closely. 

"... salespeople who only want..."
The Traditional Looker comes to your place of business expecting to be "harrassed" and "pestered" until they are forced into conversation or leaving.  I disagree with both of these beliefs, but was recently told by a customer, that as salespeople, "That is what you are trained to do, and I wish we could just take a minute to look around without being constantly bothered by..." .  This one is definitely a Disgruntled Looker.  And yes, my ears are still ringing.  Was the commission worth it?  I think so. 

I try to paint Mrs. Bradley in a good light
as I don't want any extra "assignments".
The Phone Looker is very unique in that they have the option of actually ending the conversation at any point by simply hanging up.  However, this rarely happens.  I sometimes feel like I am taking Mrs. Bradley's fourth grade oral quizes all over again.  "How many low mileage SUV's do you have?  What colors are available?  Can I get a purple one?  How many miles are on the red one?  What kind of mileage is on the black one?  Where did they come from?  How often do you get new ones in?  Will you take a lawn tractor in on trade?  (Yes this was an actual question)  What about small cars?  Do you know what my tractor is worth?  (Yup, the tractor again)  Are the tires new on the...".  Now for those of you who didn't go to fourth grade with me, Mrs. Bradley thought I could write really, really fast and neat.  I tried to explain to her that she got one or the other, but rarely did fast and neat visit my penmanship in the same assignment.  She was awful nice and tried to help with extra "assignments" on more than one ocassion.  No help. 

Die question! Die!
Seems to be what my Phone Looker was doing was trying to help me keep my middle aged, filled with too much worthless information, brain processing to keep in peak condition .  I answered questions as quickly as I could, trying to fit a few in myself.  Like Mrs. Bradley and my extra "assignments", the questions kept coming and coming.  Eventually, with the fortitude and conviction of a thousand Spartans, I defeated each and everyone of them.  I regained the high ground and finally, finally set an appointment to meet with the Phone Looker to drive what seemed to be the perfect car.  After driving the perfect one we ended up going a different direction.  Go figure!

At some point in time I hope to understand all of the Lookers, but it seems that each day I run across a new one.  They never cease to amaze with the direction they come from and the tactics they take to keep me guessing.  Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to tell them, "Just Looking?!?" and see how they react when the tables are turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment